Cookies, check. Chocolate, double check. Espresso, check. These cookies have passed the quality check of the Joe test kitchen and are yumm approved.
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons bitter, softened and divided
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- Melt bittersweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often. Add espresso powder; stir until dissolved. Remove mixture from heat; stir in vanilla. Let cool to room temperature.
- Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in bittersweet chocolate mixture and egg. Gradually add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat at low speed until well blended. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375. Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten with fork dipped in sugar. Bake 9-10 minutes or until set. Immediately remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Place white chocolate in a small resealable plastic food storage bag; seal bag. Microwave 30 seconds per side. Knead bag until chocolate is smooth. Cut tip off bag and drizzle decoratively over cookies.