1 14-ounce package of vegetarian sausage or chicken sausage
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk
1/8 cup fresh sage, chopped,
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large and deep (at least 2 inches) sauté pan, cook and brown sausage as directed on the package label, place the sausage in a bowl and set aside.
2. Using the same pan you used to cook the sausage, over medium heat, melt the butter.
3. Add the flour, and using a spatula, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, stirring constantly.
4. Once the roux is golden brown, slowly add the milk to the roux and whisk constantly until the gravy is thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
5. Once thickened, add your cooked sausage, sage, and seasonings to the gravy.
6. Serve over warm biscuits.