- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In anther bowl, combine the oats, apricots, butter and boiling water; stir until butter is melted.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, milk and orange peel if desired. Stir the oatmeal mixture into the flour mixture and gently combine until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.